I have this bookend I thrifted some time ago. Originally the flower part was painted with various colors and outdated. I gave it a second life and painted the whole thing white.
Then today, I thought I would change it up a little more and give it a third life. I found this rub on transfer at Dollar Tree and applied it to the back. I also sprayed a little bit of metallic gold spray paint on a paper plate, then used a brush to apply it to the arrow.
What a difference!
If you haven’t fallen in love with rub on transfers yet, then try the ones at Dollar Tree to practice with before committing to the expensive ones if you are wanting to see how they work. I guarantee you will become addicted.
Meet Agatha, my yard angel. After making some other yard decor yesterday and seeing some cute angels in a garden group I’m in, I knew I had to have one. So I made her this morning…. all by myself …. with materials I had here and my husband’s power tools. Ok … his battery drill with a screwdriver bit. But “power tools” sounds better.
Head and neck: a thrifted cutting board Halo: a grapevine wreath from Dollar Tree Hair: bed springs he cut off an old mattress he found on trash pick up day awhile ago. It kept him busy for two days cutting them off. 👍🏻 Necklace: I made gold bells out of big pill bottles for a wreath I made at Christmas. Agatha wanted them for a necklace. Body: a wonderfully rustic shutter a friend gifted me. Arms: braces from an old chair Wings: leftover pieces from my son’s new deck. They were already triangles. Bag of flowers: tote bag from our trip to Amsterdam several years ago. Flowers from Dollar Tree. I will be changing that out to a watering can soon but I wanted a photo before the rain and the watering can is In my booth for sale right now. Lol
I gave her wings and arms a touch of paint to blend them in.
I screwed the pieces on (I even found that metal stuff with holes in it to attach the wings) and placed her on the hill by the pond.
Thrifting can be so much fun and when you decide what to do with your finds, it is even better.
Yesterday we made a plant stand from this metal stand that was in a storage unit my husband bought a couple of years ago (just like on Storage Wars Lol)! I had looked at this stand the other day and remembered a metal basket a friend had given me. Sure enough…. it fit. So he put the basket on the stand and secured it, then spray painted the base black. Voila`! Instant plant stand!
I have no idea what it was originally, but there were two of them. One is in our flower bed holding a blue gazing ball I made last year.
When I posted this photo in one of my groups, someone asked me if the metal piece on the right was an easel. I hadn’t thought of that but I believe it is now it was pointed out. They suggested adding a frame and centering it over a pretty plant, etc. Now I’m going to have to try that!
I had to borrow my Portulaca (It looks so good right now and has really grown) off my big plant stand to get a photo, but I’m thinking of planting just some ivy so it will trail down the sides. We still have some coming up around the deck we can’t get rid of. Surely I won’t kill it.
Anyway…..it is so much fun making something out of nothing.