A Stenciled Wood Pumpkin Cut Out

Today’s early morning project: I upcycled a 12” wood cut out pumpkin (the one that is orange and says thankful and blessed). I scraped off the glitter and temoved all the embellishments and used the other side.

First I stained it and let it dry. Then I had a silicone sink mat from Dollar Tree and used it as a stencil and sprayed over it with white spray paint. I chose to spray lightly in some areas to give it a distressed look. Love how it turned out.

I made a little tag from some balsa wood and stained it. I saw an idea on a YouTube video to use a piece of burlap, fray the edges and create letters from raffia. That worked great! Then I glued the burlap to the tag. I used the same raffia to hang it from the stem, gluing the down to keep it place, then created a raffia bow.

The cut out already had holes for hanging, so I braided some jute twine, ran it through the holes and tied with knots in the back.

Another neutral hanging pumpkin completed.

This could easily be a door hanger. I am showing it just simply wired on and sitting in the middle of a 20” grapevine wreath. This would need to be on a covered porch, though, away from the elements.

Loving it on my orange wall in my hallway. I think I might have to keep this one. Lol

Pumpkin Door Hanger and More

Keep reading to see more of these cut outs I’ve completed.

I made this pumpkin hanger from a Dollar Tree pumpkin wood cut out today. I loved how it turned out so much, I ran back up and bought 5 more before they were all gone. I did leave some there for others. 🙂

First I stained the outline. Then I painted the raised areas with our Missouri Limestone Paint Company chalk-style paint in “Soothing Sage”.

I wrapped the stem area with twine and created a messy bow with a variety of strips of ribbon and raffia, I wired them all together and attached them to the stem with more wire. I had a metallic leaf and super glued it to the stem. I also had some paper covered wire I twisted around a pencil and added it.

I added a twine hanger on the back . The pumpkin can hang on the wall or it can lean up against something else in a vignette.

I can’t wait to make more of these. I love how this one turned out.

I am obsessed with these pumpkin cut outs. 🙂

I think this one might be my favorite – decoupaged scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby.
Wait! Maybe this one is my favorite. 🙂
Love the muted orange of this one.
The white with stain really stands out.

Two Early Morning Projects: A Door Hanger and a Paper Feather Plaque

It’s been awhile since I’ve had an early morning project, but today I have two.

I often do early morning projects. If you don’t see them here, you should see them on my Instagram account. https://instagram.com/sharsumpaint

Project 1: Front Door Hanger

I saw a neat idea for making a door hanger using a canvas tote. I didn’t have a canvas one, but I do have an awesome cotton one I bought as a souvenir of Amsterdam when we visited on our Viking Riverboat cruise several years ago. It was just hanging in the basement. Why not use it and be reminded of an awesome time every time I walk in the door. You could use just a plain one, too, or maybe stencil a design on one.

I used white plastic grocery bags to stuff the bag.

I tied a knot in the back handle close to the top of the bag and wrapped it through the hole it created several times until I had a short hanger. Then I tied a looser knot in the front handle and wrapped it through the hole until both loops were the same. I took a pic after the fact, do hopefully, the pic will help you understand my description.

I then decided I might as well start thinking of fall and so used greenery and fall sunflower colors inside. The orange sunflowers really brought out the orange in the bike.

Project #2: Paper Feather Wall Plaque:

I printed feather shapes with a French script (from The Graphics Fairy – https://thegraphicsfairy.com/french-script-paper-feathers/) on black and white printer paper. I cut this one out and used a watered down antique wax on it. I just dabbed the wax on here and there with a sponge. Once dry, I cut fringe slices around.

Interesting note: Once I applied the antiquing wax to the black ink jet text, it turned green. I really like that look, although I didn’t plan it. Lol

I had a white shiny 4×4 tile. I first sprayed it with Mid Podge sealer to help the paint adhere well. I sprayed it with black hammered spray paint. When dry, I applied antiquing wax, let it set awhile, then buffed it. This kept it from being so black and gave a bit of a brown look to it.

I then gave the feather a few light folds and super glued it to the tile, giving it a 3D look.

I finished it off by tying a bit of twine in a knot and then superglued it to the base of the feather. Will add a hanger to the back.

Now to come up with more ideas for paper feathers. I’d love to see projects others have done. Just add photos to the comments here if you have!

Closeup of how the black ink jet script turned green after applying wax.