An Experiment with Sunnyscopa Film-Free Waterslide Laser Decal Paper Type A

I have tried Sunnyscopa’s laser decal waterslide paper for laser printers with film before and like it very much. In fact, I used it on my latest jewelry box and the images are beautiful!

So, I was curious what the film-free was like. With the film-free you remove the film and are left with only the ink.

I must say, my experiment worked beautifully.

These are pretty much the materials I used in my experiment. I did also have a bottle of alcohol ready for cleaning any left over glue.

The film-free laser paper comes with a small bottle of glue. I also wanted to see how it would work if I used Varathane water-based Polyurethane instead of glue.

Both methods worked well, but I think the method of using the glue that comes in the package won out. The alcohol did an awesome job of cleaning up the left over glue. I’m not sure what kind of glue it is, but it is not gooey at all. It was actually rather thin and painted on easily.

The Type A paper needs to be heat set either with a hair dryer, a microwave, or the oven. That was fine with me. I use a hair dryer a lot to speed up the drying process and it worked fine in my experiment. I used a board I had painted, glazed and had sealed with poly just as I would have on a jewelry box or piece of furniture.

The first thing I did was print out just a paper copy to make sure I had my sizes right and that I printed a reverse image as with this process the printed side goes face down. Then I printed my image on the glossy side of the paper.

I then followed the directions on the package.

1. I cut out my image to transfer leaving a little margin so I could peel away the film later.

2. I then soaked the cut out in warm water for 5 seconds, took it out and let it sit for 60 seconds.

3. While it was sitting for 60 seconds I painted a layer of glue on the area I wanted the transfer to go. I learned that next time I should apply it a little heavier than I did on this one.

4. Then I turned the transfer over and put it where I wanted on my board and slid it off. I started drying it right away, first with cool heat and then high heat, pressing down any bubbles that formed. I heat set it for about 3 minutes.

You can see the film is still on it in the above pic. I then peeled away the film. You can see the start of the peel in the photo below.

At this point, you could see a little glue residue.

Using a soft cloth dipped in the alcohol and dabbing the area, the glue came right off. The ink was not affected.

And there you have it! A beautiful transfer of ink onto a painted, glazed, and sealed board. I added a couple of coats of poly over it to seal it in.

**********

Next, I used the water-based Polyurethane method and it worked well, too. If I run out of glue, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. Again, I would be a little more generous when applying it.

I did apply it in the same way as above.

I did find out that the film was a little harder to remove and you could see the outline of the film a little even after it was removed.

After a couple of coats more to seal, you could no longer see it.

This will be a transfer method I will use again. I am very pleased with the results.

Upcycle a Stone Coaster with a Decoupaged Napkin

I ran across a set of four stone coasters in a thrift store one day. Someone had tried to stencil and had a fail with bleed through. Their loss was my gain so I bought them with the idea I could do something with them some day.

Update: these coasters were already made but a friend told me she gets the stone tile at Lowes and then adds felt pads to the bottom for coasters. 🙂

Today is that day. We are going to deliver this beautiful bistro set to its new owner this weekend (hopefully the snow stops soon), but we wrapped and loaded it before the snow started in case we can’t go until Sunday.

This is a repeat client and I wanted to have a little gift for her. As I am such a hoarder….I mean a person who is always prepared …… with supplies, I just happened to also have a package of napkins I purchased in a shop somewhere that I knew would look great with the color of paint I used, Missouri Limestone Paint Company Chalk-style paint “Clothesline”, one of my favorite colors.

Here are the steps I took to create two coasters for her that will look great on the stained table top. Sorry, I forgot to take pics of this part.

1. I cleaned the coasters thoroughly.

2. I painted the tops and sides (to cover the black stencil) white “January” color. The white paint will really help the print stand out.

3. While the paint dried, I cut out the flower area a little bigger than the coaster. I peeled off the two white layers of the napkin so that I was left with only the printed part.

4. For the decoupage medium, I did not use Modpodge. I used Varathane water-based Polyurethane. I find it works great for decoupage. I applied a layer over the white paint and while still wet I applied the napkin. I used a sponge dipped in the poly to press the napkin into the stone, making sure I had no bubbles.

5. Once dry, I used 220 sandpaper to sand the edges.

6. I then used 2 coats of Rustoleum spray lacquer on the tops and sides to seal the napkin. Using lacquer will not reactivate the poly, so no bubbles formed.

The coasters look beautiful! I think my client will be very happy with her gift.