We recently thrifted a vintage cabinet. One drawer was missing a box so the front was just nailed to the cabinet. The cabinet had at least 3 layers of paint on some places, others had only one. It was falling apart.
The top was awesome. It was a vintage metal top, a cream color with farmhouse green edges. I don’t think it was the original top as it really didn’t fit.
Danny took it all apart, and rebuilt it from scratch. He created another door from the fronts of all 3 drawers and added a bottom and a shelf on one side. He also added hardware to keep the doors closed. He added a wood box type thing to the top of the cabinet to raise it up to cabinet height once the metal top was added. He also added a pallet board rack.for hanging tools, etc. There is lots of storage for soil, pots, etc.
He sanded the paint that was loose and I painted it with a mix of our Missouri Limestone Paint Company chalk style paints to match the green edges of the metal top.
To create the chippy look all over, I first painted the whole thing a light yellow like most of it has been painted. I let that dry and then rubbed it all over randomly with a candle, focusing on the edges.
I then painted it with the green paint I had mixed. I allowed some of the yellow to show through on places. Once that was dry. I took packing tape (and sometimes used duct tape) and applied it. I used a plastic scraper to adhere it, then quickly ripped it off. It took up some of the paint in small areas and a lot of paint on the areas I had applied wax.
The newly finished potting bench turned out great and sold very quickly as did the basket of fall flowers and leaves and the sunflowers.