We purchased a Waterfall type wardrobe and dresser, but didn’t have a clue how we wanted to paint them. I posted them on a couple of selling sites as is and offered to custom paint them. Someone who had a vision loved them and knew exactly what she wanted them to look like. And so the process to transform these pieces with good bones but needing a lot of work was begun.
She had seen a chest I had painted gray and with drawers left original. The dresser drawers were in good enough shape that this would be possible to do. So, we had a plan and started with that piece.
All the original pulls were there but they needed some restoration. I had found a product I loved called Rub n Buff. I chose to use Antique Copper on the hardware and the result was amazing! This is a good video tutorial on Rub n Buff. After I buffed the dresser hardware, I sealed it with a couple of coats of water-based polyurethane to keep them looking good.
Then came the transformation of the dresser. I used Missouri Limestone Paint Company’s chalk-based paint “Gray Goose” on the base. Due to the dark color and the old wood, I chose to then use a couple of coats of Minwax’s Sanding Sealer, sanding in between coats to even out the finish. I applied 3 coats of Varanthane’s water-based satin polyurethane to seal and the finish was smooth as glass.
For the mirror and drawers I was able to keep the original wood. I brought out the beauty of the wood with a couple of coats of Varathane’s water-based stain and sealer. They turned out beautiful.
Next up was the wardrobe. My customer found an awesome inspiration piece on Pinterest. I painted the outside of the wardrobe and the drawer fronts with Missouri Limestone Paint’s chalk-based paint with “Trading Post”, a beautiful turquoise. The drawers and the inside of the wardrobe were painted with “Field Corn”, a bright yellow.
The inside of the inspiration piece had a dandelion decal. We were able to find the same exact decal on Amazon. I researched and found it was best to seal the decal with Modpodge. I used two coats of Modpodge on the decals then sealed everything with 3 coats of Varathane’s water-based satin polyurethane. I did not use the sanding sealer on the lighter color paint. I also used Rub n Buff on the hardware.
This before and after restoration project is absolutely stunning. This one is going to its new home today and now I can’t wait to start a new project.